08 Dec 15 Other Lesser Known Social Networking Sites
Mesmerized by the explosion of use of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, MySpace and other forms of social networking sites? Well, Harvard genius Mark Zuckerberg isn’t the only one who has begun a revolution in global communication and networking. We are in fact, in the middle of a social media bubble; with thousands of burgeoning and other major active social networking sites to choose from. Here is a list of some lesser known but popular ones on the internet
1) Badoo : Badoo was brought to life in London in 2006 by a small group of young, forward thinking programmers and tech entrepreneurs. A worldwide socializing system, it provides its members with the ability to meet new girls and guys in and around their local area. Although available in most of the world, the site is most active in France, Spain and Italy, as well as Latin America.
2) Bebo : Bebo , a social networking website was founded by Michael Birch and his wife Xochi Birch in January 2005 at their home in San Francisco The website’s name is an acronym for Blog Early, Blog Often.
3) Buzznet :Buzznet is a photo, journal, and video-sharing Social Media network. Buzznet members participate in communities that are created around ideas, events and interests; most predominantly, music, celebrities and the media.
4) Classmates.com : With over 40 million members, this social network website is designed in finding friends and acquaintances from kindergarten, primary school, high school, college and work in the U.S and outside.
5) Delicious : is one of the most popular social bookmarking web services for storing, sharing, and discovering web bookmarks.
6) deviantART : commonly abbreviated as dA is an online community showcasing various forms of user-made artwork. It’s a community of artists and those devoted to art and various art forms.
7) Douban : is a Chinese website providing user review and recommendation services for movies, books and music. It is also the largest online Chinese language book, movie and music database and one of the largest online communities in China.
8) Experience Project : is where you can find, read and share true personal stories about millions of shared life experiences. It has personal stories, support groups, anonymous blogs, photos, videos etc.
9) Exploroo: is information loaded one-stop website for everything travel related.
10) Elftown: The community and meeting place for lovers of fantasy and science fiction art. Contains forums, message systems
and a well used wiki system.
11) FilmAffinity : AKA movieaffinity.com is popular website in Spanish speaking countries that finds people who have the same taste in movies as you, can rate movies, find recommended films based on their personal ratings, create any kind of movie lists and -in the Spanish version- write reviews.
12) Fotolog : With over 30 million registered users, it is one of the oldest and largest sites for sharing pictures through online photo diaries or photo blogs.
13) Gaia Online : An online hangout, incorporating social networking, forums, gaming and a virtual world.
14) ibibo : Talent based social networking site that allows promoting one’s self and also discovering new talent. Most popular in India.
15) LiveMocha : is an online language learning community claiming more than six million members from 195 countries and dynamic online courses in 35 languages.